Los Angeles, CA: Sports, Teams, and Events
Los Angeles, California hosts several sports events and is home to major sports teams from Major League Baseball (MLB), Major League Soccer (MLS), National Football League (NFL), and the National Hockey League (NHL).
LA is home to various sports teams, most gaining fans worldwide. Here are some of the professional teams, their histories, and more.
- Los Angeles Dodgers – Founded in 1883 and established in 1958, this baseball team is considered as one of the most valuable franchises in the history of MLB. The name Dodgers was formally adopted in 1932.
- Los Angeles Lakers – Founded in 1947 and established in 1960, it is one of LA’s pride, gaining a huge basketball fan base both within the country and all throughout the world.
- Los Angeles Clippers – Founded in 1970 and established in 1984, the basketball team was originally called Buffalo Braves and gained the name Clippers only when it moved to San Diego.
- Los Angeles Rams – Founded in 1936 and established in 1946, the football team moved from LA and has just relocated back in 2016.
- Los Angeles Kings – Founded and established in 1967, this hockey team has won two titles in 2012 and 2014.
- Anaheim Ducks – Founded and established in 1993, this hockey team started as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and has won the Stanley Cup in 2007.
- LA Galaxy – Founded and established in 1995, this is the only soccer team competing in the Major League Soccer. However, a new expansion club is set to start playing sometime in 2018.
Los Angeles, being one of the most popular cities in California, has hosted several sporting events, such as:
- Super Bowl – The city hosted seven Super Bowls since 1967, making them the third city with the most number of Super Bowls hosted.
- Olympic Games – The city first hosted the Olympics games in 1932 and the second time was in 1984.
- FIFA World Cup – The US hosted this prestigious event in 1994 and one of the venues used was the Rose Bowl.
- Special Olympics – The Special Olympics World Summer Games was hosted by Los Angeles in 2015, running from 24th of July until the 2nd of August.